Saturday, July 17, 2010

Wishing to See

My father-in-law proclaims
the local rabbits friendly,
so I suppose that this one
simply doesn’t recognize me
as a member of the clan.
He jumps through a fence-hole
and hides behind a crepe myrtle.

Perhaps it’s the barbecue fork in my hand,
or the smoke and smell of grilling meat.

Moving into the blazing July yard a bit,
I crane my neck around the flowering crepe,
and see him posing, staring across the creek
to where the tall grass swallows gazes.

Two robins land a few feet away,
tweet and twitter at him who never moves.

I look to where his eyes have gone
and all is yellow, orange, green,
all blade and brush and heat.
When I look back, he’s vanished.

I stand there for a long time,
my stupid fork hanging at my side,
while the meat turns black
and the night comes relentlessly on.

No comments:

Post a Comment